Expectant mothers are our most important patients. Not only do we get to care for the mother, but we also get to make sure that the baby has a proper nerve supply for development. There are millions of different hormonal changes and chemical reactions occurring both in the mother and the developing baby, all of which are controlled and coordinated through the nervous system. You need a nervous system that responds immediately and accurately to changing requirements in all parts of your body, and this has never been truer with pregnancy.
Even before you conceive, it is great to have chiropractic care. It can help you have more regular menstrual cycles and optimal uterine function. Restoring proper nerve supply to reproductive organs has helped many couples who thought they were infertile conceive. It prepares the body to be strong, supple, and as balanced as possible to carry the pregnancy. Adjusting women throughout pregnancy leads to a healthier pregnancy, which means an easier labor and delivery, and a better transition for the baby into this life.
Studies show that chiropractic care may result in easier pregnancy including increased comfort during the third trimester and delivery and a reduced need for analgesics (pain medication). Here are the results of a few of those studies:
- Women receiving chiropractic care through their first pregnancy had a 24% reduction in labor times and subjects giving birth for the second or third time reported a 39% reduction in labor times.
- The need for analgesics was reduced by 50% in the patients who received adjustments.
- 84% of women report relief of back pain during pregnancy with chiropractic care.
- Chiropractic care has helped new mothers become more comfortable breastfeeding (posture-wise) as well as to produce more milk.
- Chiropractic care has also been shown to reduce the likelihood of postpartum depression.
No matter what stage of pregnancy you come in at, we often have solutions to help you. Most women believe that being miserable is just what pregnancy is suppose to be like. It is not. Pelvic distortion can be a major factor in breech babies, rib pain, leg pain and back pain. We can help make your pregnancy a better one. Plus, we have the tools at Westside Chiropractic Center to accommodate the pregnant belly.